Thursday 18 February 2010

Song 10 - "Ordinary Man"

On the 15th January - I sent Rob a photograph of me for the album. If you are linking to this through Facebook, you already have seen the photo I am on about as it is my profile pic.

Quite a lot of snow had fallen in our county over the first couple of weeks of January, so my other passion - golf - had to be put on hold. As a result, I could spend a lot of time in the studio, and came up with my 5th and our 10th song - "Ordinary Man". I was going to call it "Ordinary World", but I think Duran Duran may have objected. Rob mentioned he had already written a song in the 90's called "Ordinary Man", but he didn't have as much clout as Simon Le Bon so I didn't care! Nor did he.

Fairly straightforward song about everyday life for me. I decided to put on some acoustic guitars myself on this one, just as backing, which would give Rob a free hand in putting some electric or acoustic fills plus some backing or harmony vocals. The other new addition was a tambourine track - not from the keyboard - but a real live Mick Jagger waving tambourine. The song is over 5 minutes long and that is a lot of arm waving for the tambourine track - needless to say, I did it in one take.

Rob has now sent through his additions to this song - the last one to be completed - so although the album (apart from the artwork) is completed as I write this, there are still two more songs to consider on the blog.

Here is a clip of the completed song

1 comment:

  1. Paul's songs are sometimes very deceiving, this is what I've found while working with him on this album. At first I wasn't sure about this track, but after several days of listening and working on this track, once again I now really dig it, and I find myself singing it around the house a lot.

    There's something about some of his songs that get into your head and stay there! There is for me anyway, and I'm sure others will find the same thing when listening to this album.

    All I can say is "You aint no ordinary man Paul, that's for sure!"

    This song was a tricky one for me, adding in my additions. Once again I couldn't get the sound I required on the guitar, so had to settle for an amp simulation.

    Interesting chords in the Chorus, I did suss them out, but decided to make it easy on myself by just playing notes rather than chords, there was enough going on in there anyway!

    ReplyDelete