Thursday 18 February 2010

Song 7 - "I Believe in You"

So - into the second half. The next song of Rob's was received on 17th December - just 4 days after completing "Demon", but before I could even get started on it - yet another one arrived from the other side of the world. We were on a roll obviously (especially Rob) and we were both enjoying ourselves. I actually worked on the second song first - but more on that later. He really wasn't sure about this first one though - but I was.

Straightaway, I liked the song - "I Believe in You", as it had strong possibilities on the chorus for some vocal harmonies from me - something I had not really managed up until now. This was due to the different way Rob and I phrase things - we would sing exactly the same song in two very different ways.

But this was an exception- the chorus has a very strong melody line and once I got used to the phrasing, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. The verse was very different - probably the weakest point of the song and probably the reason for Rob's doubts. Having said that, the song opens with a nice piece of picking on acoustic guitar and after a bit of experimentation, I settled on a piano in the higher register, plus a harmonica sound which complimented it nicely. The sound of the harmonica was so authentic, that Rob stated in his next e-mail that he didn't know I played one! (I can get a tune out of a real one but not as good as what I can do with the keyboard).

After the first chorus (where I had added 3 part harmony vocals) the drums kick in and the song bowls along nicely. We then get to the guitar solo - Rob called it "another rock ballad lead section" and added it was something he intended to get away from for a while. Not because it didn't sound great, but......well...too much of a good thing and all that.

The song finishes with another bit of guitar lead over Rob's repetition of the title - together with some harmony oohs and ahhs from me to a faded end. One of my favourite songs to work on (although I have loved them all).

Here is a clip



1 comment:

  1. After writing this song, I liked it, but felt there was something not quite right with the verses? I pondered over whether to send it to Paul or not, but sticking to my plan of completing a song before scrapping it, I decided to see what Paul thought of it. I am surprised that Paul likes it as much as he says he does, but then thats what I mean "what the hell do I know?"

    Paul's additions really give the song a lift, and I wasn't expecting the harmonica, but I liked it right away, and it gives the track a totally different sound to any of the other tracks (thats why it's on there Paul will tell you).

    After many listens I think it's probably
    the lyric, not the melody in the verses that let it down a bit for me, but that's just me. Someone else will probably say they dig it! Anyway! that is not why I elected to leave the song as the last track on the album, I just felt it followed "Ordinary Man" well.

    ReplyDelete